Watcha readin?

Started by Eugene, March 09, 2017, 09:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugene

skateandannoy

Just finished Cursed in Cairo (no one else has read it yet?!) Have a big list of stuff to read. Not sure what next. Maybe the board will help me decide? I was gonna read Camus' The Fall but maybe I'll hold off to make some content on the board. Someone pick what I read next!

Steinbeck In Dubious Battle
Greene The Lawless Roads
Salinger Franny and Zooey or Raise High The Roofbeam, Carpenters
Bradbury The Martian Chronicles or The Sound of Thunder
Morrison Beloved
Dostoyevsky The Idiot

as for comics, lately I've been reading Motor Crush, Mighty Thor, Mosaic, Spell on Wheels, Flash, Wonder Woman, Ms. Marvel, Sex Criminals, and Black Panther.

What about you Eugene?
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

hatmoose

i'm dumb as shit and i can't make myself read as often as i think i should sometimes but i've been working my way through a bunch of books on film for the past year or so. the main one is tim lucas' epic biography of mario bava. in between trying to force books into my face i read a lot of comics, i really enjoyed the image comics run of "Prophet" and i highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of science fiction or fantasy (it's kind of like Heavy Metal)
ask me about my high score

skateandannoy

Quote from: hatmoose on March 09, 2017, 11:29:45 AM
i'm dumb as shit and i can't make myself read as often as i think i should sometimes but i've been working my way through a bunch of books on film for the past year or so. the main one is tim lucas' epic biography of mario bava. in between trying to force books into my face i read a lot of comics, i really enjoyed the image comics run of "Prophet" and i highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of science fiction or fantasy (it's kind of like Heavy Metal)
Gonna check Prophet out!

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Eugene

books I've read or finished recently enough (probably in the last 5 months) include

Sidewalk - Mitchell Duneier
What Ive Stolen, What Ive Earned - Sherman Alexie
Prison Writings: My Life is a Sun Dance - Leonard Pelteir
Indian Killer - Sherman Alexie

and Im at least half way/nearly done with

Refusing to be a Man: Essays on Sex and Justice - John Stoltenberg
The Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie
and self help book on communicating but its kinda weird, only book I wouldnt recommend here
refusing to be a man is weird at times too, pretty great in others

pronetoaccidents

Liber Null & Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic- Peter J. Carroll
From Hell- Alan Moore
The Right Stuff - Tom Wolfe
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

momitsnowme

I'm listening to the audiobook of Barbara Kinsolver's Prodigal Summer
I recently finished listening to Dave Eggers' Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

pronetoaccidents

also skimming through some madame Blavatsky and eliphas levi

jer

Networking Essentials, Third Edition. Beasley and Nilkaew.

:( :( :(
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

skateandannoy

Quote from: Eugene on March 09, 2017, 02:03:40 PM
books I've read or finished recently enough (probably in the last 5 months) include

and self help book on communicating but its kinda weird, only book I wouldnt recommend here

Sherman Alexie is the best. My girlfriend got to meet him!

amanda

I'm working on Tana French's In the Woods right now. I haven't been reading as much since I took up cross stitch and have been doing stitch work on my commute to work pretty regularly instead of reading. I've still read a decent chunk of books this year, though.

My favorites so far have been Jillian Tamaki's Supermutant Magic Academy, M.R. Carey's The Girl with All the Gifts, Lisa Hanawalt's Hot Dog Taste Test, and Isabel Quintero's Gabi, A Girl in Pieces. I also read American Gods and really liked it. It's the first Neil Gaiman book I've read, but I'll definitely be reading more of them.

Eugene

Quote from: skateandannoy on March 10, 2017, 08:10:08 AM
Quote from: Eugene on March 09, 2017, 02:03:40 PM

Sherman Alexie is the best. My girlfriend got to meet him!

woah thats awesome! I instantly get so sucked in to any book I read of his, I love it. Im stoked for a new book he has coming out this year focused on the his mother, who passed away in recent years I think?

jer

Quote from: jer on March 10, 2017, 07:31:22 AM
Networking Essentials, Third Edition. Beasley and Nilkaew.

CompTIA Network+ N10-006 Cert Guide, Keith Barker & Kevin Wallace

Rymodee

How Music Dies (or lives)
Keith Morris bio
LJG bio
Blasphemy
This Music Leaves Stains
Monkey...I'll probably never really finish reading monkey
Kavalier & Clay

momitsnowme

Kavalier and Clay is good!!

pronetoaccidents

jer

CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide by Darril Gibson

momitsnowme

I just finished reading West Virginia by Joe Halstead, which I bet a lot of you would really like
I just finished listening to Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling, which I enjoyed but not as much as her first book
I just started listening to Daring Greatly by Brene Brown

BlakeK

I don't hardly ever get to read for pleasure. I was reading The Expectant Father which is a book I got for Christmas but now I'm reading Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. It's interesting but I'm trying to get some ideas for a client who has BPD. Fun stuff. Clients with personality disorders usually give me this very uneasy feeling but this person is one of the few who do not.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

pronetoaccidents

isn't it extremely difficult to diagnosis someone with a personality disorder? i know mental illness in general is hard because it's not like you can do an X-ray and see it right there but for some reason i thought i heard or read somewhere about that one being particularily tricky.

BlakeK

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on April 21, 2017, 11:04:17 AM
isn't it extremely difficult to diagnosis someone with a personality disorder? i know mental illness in general is hard because it's not like you can do an X-ray and see it right there but for some reason i thought i heard or read somewhere about that one being particularily tricky.
It is tricky because the client always presents with a lot of symptoms that make me want to go through the rolodex in my head of potential disorders. There are generally comorbid disorders and often the emphasis is on treating the symptoms associated with those disorders initially until it becomes apparent that something else is going on. Personality disorders are interesting because they're not like anxiety or mood disorders. It's something bigger in that it is describing their overall personality type. While everyone is different, there are some folks who have these constellation of personality traits that combine to form what are known as personality disorders. The most common that I see is borderline personality disorder. I've had a few with anti-social personality disorder but they almost never seek treatment on their own and often drop out after a few sessions or when their court ordered sessions are up.

jer

CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide by Christine Bresnahan, Richard Blum

BlakeK

Quote from: jer on April 26, 2017, 07:54:11 PM
CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide by Christine Bresnahan, Richard Blum
I heard that there's a twist ending that no one sees coming!

jer

The twist is that the certification is dumb and you're still unemployable

BlakeK

Quote from: jer on April 28, 2017, 09:17:45 PM
The twist is that the certification is dumb and you're still unemployable
A spoiler alert for those who haven't read it would have been nice.