27 year old punk killed by neo nazies at an exploited show

Started by pronetoaccidents, February 24, 2017, 08:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pronetoaccidents

Though lovers be lost love shall not.

skateandannoy

Awful. It's hard to believe we're going down this same road again.

And when are people going to give up on The Exploited? They've had the soft on nazis/ sympathizer accusations for decades.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

Quote from: skateandannoy on March 09, 2017, 11:23:58 AM

And when are people going to give up on The Exploited? They've had the soft on nazis/ sympathizer accusations for decades.
I feel like there will always be an element within punk that is at the very least passive when it comes to nazi imagery and sentiments. It's disturbing and strange. I always thought it was a shock value kind of deal but with the skinhead trend it seemed to me like there was and is a portion of punk fans who share values with nazis. I may be talking out of my ass but it seemed that even those who claimed to be "the good skinheads" often held private views that were sympathetic to nazi skinheads. That's just anecdotal though.

I could totally see skinheads heading further right in the Trump/alt right era.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on March 18, 2017, 07:15:58 PM
Quote from: skateandannoy on March 09, 2017, 11:23:58 AM

I feel like there will always be an element within punk that is at the very least passive when it comes to nazi imagery and sentiments. It's disturbing and strange. I always thought it was a shock value kind of deal but with the skinhead trend it seemed to me like there was and is a portion of punk fans who share values with nazis. I may be talking out of my ass but it seemed that even those who claimed to be "the good skinheads" often held private views that were sympathetic to nazi skinheads. That's just anecdotal though.

I could totally see skinheads heading further right in the Trump/alt right era.

I know lots of good skinheads, but there is sometimes a streak toward libertarianism/ right wingerness in the street punk scenes in certain areas (looking at you Connecticut).

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

With punk being anti-establishment in nature it makes me wonder if the swing right that you and I referred to will swing back left the longer a Republican is in the White House. I may be wrong about everything in this thread, I'm just thinking out loud.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on March 19, 2017, 11:01:46 AM
With punk being anti-establishment in nature it makes me wonder if the swing right that you and I referred to will swing back left the longer a Republican is in the White House. I may be wrong about everything in this thread, I'm just thinking out loud.
I mean I think that comes mostly from a misreading of most punk ideology. On the surface, libertarianism seems like a pretty safe way to grapple with "punk politics" without getting into the really radical side of it:

"no government" check!
"tolerance of LGBTQA people" check!

it's kind of like a way to feel like a rebel without having to change anything about society. It's just for dummies.

jer

Quote from: skateandannoy on March 19, 2017, 05:56:10 PM

lipservice to tolerance of LGBTQA people.

in practice, US libertarianism has been pretty awful to that community.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

skateandannoy

Quote from: jer on March 19, 2017, 06:39:18 PM
Quote from: skateandannoy on March 19, 2017, 05:56:10 PM

lipservice to tolerance of LGBTQA people.

in practice, US libertarianism has been pretty awful to that community.
100%! They suck. I tried to say that by putting those two ideas in quotes, that they aren't actually true but are supposedly part of their ideology, or as you put it much better, "lipservice".

skateandannoy

I'll never forget a girl I had a crush on in high school saying about Ron Paul "he's a libertarian, he's basically an anarchist." Vibe killer.

Which is another thing as Jer sort of pointed out in the terrible music thread about Frank Turner, is that some really young punks (8th grade ish?) get into libertarianism via punk while still trying to figure out what all these political words mean (at least anecdotally for me was the case with kids I knew, like that girl). Most grow out of it once they just learn some shit about how the world works (which she did).