Introduce Yourself Thread

Started by rory, June 25, 2014, 08:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jer

Yeah, I'm not sure how insisting that cis people be rigid in their gender identity is helpful to anybody else, but what do i know. this intro thread sure is off-track.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

momitsnowme

Also, I just realized...it is pretty fucked up to just assume this person is cis when you don't know him at all

FolkTheGovernment

Quote from: Anna Karina on June 26, 2014, 10:05:41 PM
Quote from: FolkTheGovernment on June 26, 2014, 06:33:00 PM
Gender/Pronouns: He/Him although I dont care what I am called, doesnt bother me too much.
What's up, Overcooked Pizza Rolls?

Living that pizza roll life.
i love sharks and Godzilla

FolkTheGovernment

Quote from: Esmiller59 on June 26, 2014, 10:36:05 PM
QuoteGender/Pronouns: He/Him although I dont care what I am called, doesnt bother me too much.

For serious though - "I don't care" is the biggest example of cis privilege. Do you self-identify as male? Then you use male pronouns, none of this "well, whatever works" bullshit. Same goes for folks that self-identify as female. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other folks don't care.

It wasnt used as an "I dont care what people identify as" more of a "I dont care about what you personally call me." But go ahead and get all huffy puffy.

FolkTheGovernment

Quote from: momitsnowme on June 26, 2014, 11:47:01 PM
I don't know if that is fair. I don't think anybody said they don't care what other people want to be referred to as, just that they don't care how others refer to them.

That is literally how I meant it.

FolkTheGovernment

Quote from: rory on June 27, 2014, 07:58:22 AM
Quote from: Esmiller59 on June 26, 2014, 10:36:05 PM
QuoteGender/Pronouns: He/Him although I dont care what I am called, doesnt bother me too much.

For serious though - "I don't care" is the biggest example of cis privilege. Do you self-identify as male? Then you use male pronouns, none of this "well, whatever works" bullshit. Same goes for folks that self-identify as female. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other folks don't care.

Anyhwo, sup Noah, I saw you at PIXfest like a million times and didn't say hey because I'm awkward. Seemed like you were having a good time.

I dont blame you, if I recognized you I probably wouldnt have said anything either because I too am awkward. But yeah, I definitely enjoyed myself. I got my license that Friday just to drive to the fest.

Pwoink

Name: Alex

Username Meaning: It's a fun noise. Try it! Pwoink! Pwoink, pwoink!

Location: Couple'a hours south of Atlanta, GA for the past year or so; Las Vegas, NV for the past three months; prooobably Dayton, OH within two months?

Gender/Pronouns: Most people use feminine ones, but whatever your first instinct is is fine. Just please don't call me "woman" or "ma'am" -- "girl" or "dude" are much preferred.

What You Do: I've been really enjoying seeing the doubletakes when I tell people I'm a housewife! My partner supports the two of us (and our two fattie ratties), while I make sure that our travel plans and house party plans run smooth. It's a lot of packing for trips, and then unpacking from them. I've got my eye on a social work degree in the next handful of years, though.

Favorite Music: A variety of things that end in -punk, though also I'm happy that electroswing has gotten so big, and I love surf rock unreasonably and unconditionally.

Likes: Going on road trips, my school bus/RV conversion Dread Naught, meeting people who are excited about things, fig season, goats.

Pet Peeves: When I'm eating with friends and I'm like, "Hey, you wanna try some of my thing?" and they're like, "No thanks," and that's the end of the conversation. I think it's a waste of an eating out experience if we're not all swapping plates and commenting on eachother's dishes!

Social Media: Er, https://www.facebook.com/pwoink and http://pwoinkster.tumblr.com/ and I guess https://twitter.com/pwoink

Photo: I'm on the left! I don't have very many recent photos of myself, it transpires. Gotta get on that!

Rapture Ready Blowhard

Name:  Mike

Username Meaning:  I was tired of the other one (which was kinda dumb) and I love Left Behind/Bible prophecy/Rapture fiction

Gender/Pronouns: He/him/his, mostly.  For some reason my voice is higher when I talk on the phone, and I don't mind when I'm called ma'am.

What You Do:  I work in a library.  For the first time in my life, I enjoy my job.

Favorite Music: Probably 90% is stuff that literally everyone on this board loves.  Lately, I've also been listening to some Trojan box sets, Al

Rapture Ready Blowhard

I think Brett mentioned this in another thread, but for some reason my post got clipped.

jer

Hrm... Did you use any special characters or anything?

amanda

Name: Amanda

Username Meaning: See answer to "Name:"

Gender/Pronouns: Femme/neutral. 

What You Do: I work at a medical market research firm and don't exactly know my title anymore.  I started as a phone interviewer but now I make graphs for our reports, proofread/copyedit reports, write training materials, manage a database, and do transcriptions and clean up open-ended answers on some of our surveys for clients.   

Favorite Music:  The Lawrence Arms, Masked Intruder, Waxahatchee, Direct Hit, The Smoking Popes, Chumped, lots of poppunk really.  And hair metal.  I really love hair metal.

Likes: Whiskey, bbq, cryptozoology, Katniss Everdeen, lavender, taking baths, cooking, reading, getting rowdy with my friends, quite nights in with my dude, Star Wars, binge watching tv shows, skeletons, collecting Funko Pops, Degrassi, etc.

Pet Peeves: When this one guy at work cooks salmon from being completely raw in the office microwave and makes the whole office smell gross for the rest of the day, ranch dressing, that sound of something scraping against frost build-up in freezers, beer lists that are almost exclusively IPAs, and when people throw away the broccoli stalks and only eat the florets. 

Social Media: I'm hillpeoplemilk on twitter and Instagram and yourdisappointmentappointment on tumblr. 

Photo:

I'm the one in the glasses.

rory

Quote from: amanda on June 28, 2014, 09:16:17 PM
beer lists that are almost exclusively IPAs

Just ranted about this same pet peeve with my boss the other day. Ugh.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

Pwoink

Oh man, this bugs me, too! It's not like there aren't interesting craft brews that aren't IPA's; and, no, you aren't cooler for liking to have your face blasted off with hops. augh

Anna Karina

Whoa, let's not talk shit about IPAs now. There are plenty of IPAs that aren't aggressive.

amanda

I just think most pale ales and IPAs taste like cheap beer with a healthy dose of potpourri oil mixed in.  There is like one from Stone that doesn't make me gag.

jer

I'm glad I live on the west coast where most IPAs come from and people actually appreciate them.

Anna Karina

I was gonna open up something else, but was forced to open this in protest instead.

Sure, there are bad IPAs since it's one of the easier/quickest styles to brew, but there are a ridiculous amount of amazing IPAs that use a huge variety of hops, so the flavor profiles are pretty endless. Noble has a running series of ______ Showers beers that each showcase a different hop, and Nelson Showers is better than pretty much any other beer that's been released this year.

jer

Keep fighting the good fight, Brett.

Esmiller59

QuoteIt wasnt used as an "I dont care what people identify as" more of a "I dont care about what you personally call me." But go ahead and get all huffy puffy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get as aggressive as I did, but I'm often in situations when people say "I don't care" as a response to PGP and its mostly out of a privilege of not having to think about how you are referred to

Pwoink

How can you tell when it's because they haven't thought about it, or because they have thought about it and that's the conclusion they've come to?

SomeComicGeek

Name: Shea

Username Meaning: I like comics a lot.

Gender/Pronouns: Male; he/him

What You Do: I work on boats for months at a time and then try my best to not spend my time in places other than Memphis when I'm not working.

Favorite Music: Defiance Ohio, Jeff Rosenstock's music, Chris Clavin's music, pop, punk, I don't know this is a hard question?

Likes: Biking, running, exercise in general; Wes Anderson movies; Haruki Murakami books, board games, comics

Pet Peeves: People who stand stationary in the middle of escalators/moving sidewalks blocking the way for people who want to feel like they have super-speed, the disproportionate amount of love the IPAs get from craft brewers, how my internet only decides to start acting up when I try to stream something

Social Media: endless-enthusiasm.tumblr.com

Photo:

Pwoink

SomeComicGeek

Quote from: Pwoink on June 30, 2014, 02:52:09 PM
Aw, your mustache is smaller!

Yeah :/ This was back in January I had to keep my facial hair trimmed for work. Of all things, that is probably the biggest drawback to my job.

Seta

Name: Sami

Username Meaning: it's been my thing for years, who even knows any more

Gender/Pronouns: genderqueer, she/her/hers

What You Do: lots of things? time wise: mostly dating and seeing friends and partners, but also meetings for projects I'm involved with (e.g. Palestine solidarity, facilitation collective, radical funding group) and other organising-y things, + gigs and films and shit like that. oh, and late-night museums. love them.

Favorite Music: http://www.last.fm/user/SetaLyas

Likes: stouts and porters, dating cute people, being organised and getting shit done, Fallen London, chocolate covered coffee beans, comics, zines (I'm just naming things I can see rn)

Pet Peeves: agree w/ Tague abt IPAs (FUCK YOU JER)

Social Media: @setalyas

Photo:
missing the old board since 2014

tenderfoot_blues

Name: Logan (username was LoganTheCheese)
Username Meaning: deeply personal
Gender/Pronouns: male/he
What You Do: not post on the board
Favorite Music: both kinds, country and western
Pet Peeves: lack of common courtesy
Social Media: sometimes
Photo:
LoganTheCheese, ya'll.