Plan-It-X Records, and also our youth, is officially dead.

Started by lindsey, January 05, 2016, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skateandannoy

I never got to go to PIX Fest, I really hope there's more I want to meet everyone so badly and all the stories about it are legendary.

Quote from: momitsnowme on January 07, 2016, 06:15:46 PM
The recipes thread was great. I've made that peanut tofu from jp so many times
Can we start a new recipes thread please? That was one of my favorites. I'm really curious about this peanut tofu......

https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

skateandannoy

For my PIX yearbook, an important one was joining the board because I wasn't in a great place when I first joined and was probably really annoying, which was part of why I changed my username to what it is now when the board crashed. I love all the people on the board even though I'm terrible at communicating on the internet.

Seeing AJJ, Tiny Teeth, Pat the Bunny, Inky Skulls and other PIX affiliated bands and all the memories all the artists and their music holds. Meeting Chris at a surprisingly crowded basement show one of his obscure bands was doing, and getting to talk to the legend himself was great.
And I bought a copy of Rat Storm's 7" "Fractured" at a really random record fair where everything else was uninteresting. Finding one of PIX's most unusual releases in the middle of nowhere made my week.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

I'm almost 33 years old, have two step kids, and am planning on trying to have a baby with my wife this summer. I think I missed my window for that sort of thing. I could meet up with some people from the board, though, if they went.

I think you're right, Brett, but I do remember Chris not really being into the board in the past and thought he may want to have it down completely now that the label is shut down. Maybe it's the opposite and now that the label is over he cares less.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

avivaaeelena

since all my usernames seemed to have evaporated... this is what i wrote on fb. i do think that there are more representative scenes these days and thats important to me, but like i say here - i at least felt okay sorting my shit out here and that was really important for this very queer thought-i-was-a-boy to now a pretty lezzy trans girl.

"I know there's some criticism (some of it very valid, some of it just 2010s griping) around the whole scene and the label, but while I'm 100% for the decision made and fully support it, there's a big part of me that's sad that Plan-It-X is closed and shuttering in the next few months. Honestly, it helped create a scene and a place where, growing up in the south/rural areas often in a military "community" and tough guy music scenes, I felt like I could be not masculine, I could be gay/queer/wonkygender/a woman, where I could have some fucking feelings and not tough-guy it out. Thank god I found some torrents of some of those first records, and more importantly thank god I was near Pensacola where a lot of bands came through and have at least a little of that sensibility diffuse across the state line (at least through people I knew), and thank god I got to meet people and make connections, some of whom are still friends today and I've spent a lot of time with and been very close to and intimate with. It's meant a lot. I know there are more diverse scenes now, and I'm so fucking happy about that, they're needed and important. I'm just saying that was my first and was what I needed in a place and time I was in. All things die and that's fine, let it be put to rest. But it's a good excuse to think about them."

jer

Quote from: BlakeK on January 08, 2016, 06:24:10 AM
If Chris does want the PIX name taken off of the board, is there a way to just change the name of the board?

I don't know why chris would care about the name of this board, but if he does, it'll be real easy to change it over to just hijinx board or whatever
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

jer

Anna Karina

rory

Stopping the label seems totally reasonable. I think more people need to learn how to let things go when the time is up, and I find it kind of inspiring in a way.

It's pretty fun to think and realize how important a lot of this media has been for over 10 years of my life, though, and how many friends and connections I've made because of it.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

BlakeK

Quote from: avivaaeelena on January 08, 2016, 11:16:59 PM
since all my usernames seemed to have evaporated... this is what i wrote on fb. i do think that there are more representative scenes these days and thats important to me, but like i say here - i at least felt okay sorting my shit out here and that was really important for this very queer thought-i-was-a-boy to now a pretty lezzy trans girl.

"I know there's some criticism (some of it very valid, some of it just 2010s griping) around the whole scene and the label, but while I'm 100% for the decision made and fully support it, there's a big part of me that's sad that Plan-It-X is closed and shuttering in the next few months. Honestly, it helped create a scene and a place where, growing up in the south/rural areas often in a military "community" and tough guy music scenes, I felt like I could be not masculine, I could be gay/queer/wonkygender/a woman, where I could have some fucking feelings and not tough-guy it out. Thank god I found some torrents of some of those first records, and more importantly thank god I was near Pensacola where a lot of bands came through and have at least a little of that sensibility diffuse across the state line (at least through people I knew), and thank god I got to meet people and make connections, some of whom are still friends today and I've spent a lot of time with and been very close to and intimate with. It's meant a lot. I know there are more diverse scenes now, and I'm so fucking happy about that, they're needed and important. I'm just saying that was my first and was what I needed in a place and time I was in. All things die and that's fine, let it be put to rest. But it's a good excuse to think about them."
What was your old username? I've seen a few new posters pop up lately which I find odd but good, of course.

avivaaeelena

Quote from: BlakeK on January 09, 2016, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: avivaaeelena on January 08, 2016, 11:16:59 PM

What was your old username? I've seen a few new posters pop up lately which I find odd but good, of course.

i honestly am fuzzed out on it. memory loss, disassociation. if someone can tell me thatd be awesome, lmao. i signed up in early 2005 after a couple years listening/going to shows.

BlakeK

Were you on here a lot? It's just strange that no one has acknowledged the fact that you're back or seems to remember you. What's your first name?

avivaaeelena

my username is my name, if sami was here they could tell you. i was even supposed to be in the boardie photo at pix 12/spoons called me to come down but i was busy bussing tables!

Anna Karina

I also remember you but forget your previous names. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

avivaaeelena

i think i was a really frustrating human being, at least in the way i would interact half the time. i apologize for that now. i think i'm in a better and more medicated place, heh. i'm still a ball of spite but i know where to point it now.

but this isn't about me, this is for our odes to plan it x. x is dead, long live x, etc.

GrownFolk

I just hope that whatever Chris ends up doing he keeps the music going.  The last Ghost Mice and Captain Chaos albums were too good to stop at that point.  They need proper follow up albums!

jer

avivaaeelena, your previous name was something like avtigerlilly, but i don't think exactly that. you had at least one other one that i remember.

pronetoaccidents

i was pretty sure he said something about their being no pix fest this year. I don't know if that means things are hectic now and he's  cancelling it this year or if it's a wrap in general. I never made it to the pix fest and that really disappoints me.

I agree with what the others are saying, that the label could definitely have maintained, succeeded, even flourished (I'm speaking for Chris here which is crazy. he probably doesn't want any of this. actually i'm sure he doesn't or he wouldn't do what he did but, i dunno, i thought maybe he could have left it in someones competent hands. The music means a lot to a lot of people. Maybe he's making a statement to them that they can do it themselves? anyhow i'm digressing).. Don Giovanni, which is now a super fucking label as far as D.I.Y. punk is concerned, they got their bands in Rolling Stone magazine, lock-down on solid. It's funny how things change. before the label was anything really it was a means to put out the album by skynet which went to become for science!, Joe Steinharts band, founder of the label. I remember being younger and my friend and I didn't know how much cough syrup to drink to get an effective trip and Joe was the man we called for the job at the time. Now he's a tenured professor with a successful label and I'm assuming happy. We would call him for other endeavors I believe nowadays.

I wish PIX would maintain in some form. A collective of sorts? a Publishing house? use what he knows about putting out D.I.Y. albums and help bands to do it themselves as well. Again, speaking for chris, this is all stuff that I, and anyone can do.

Now the motive is become clearer and clearer as i write and read what I've written.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

momitsnowme

Ryan, I've definitely been throwing around the idea of a punk publishing house. Not as PIX, obviously, just in general

Anna Karina

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on January 11, 2016, 11:51:36 AM
i was pretty sure he said something about their being no pix fest this year. I don't know if that means things are hectic now and he's  cancelling it this year or if it's a wrap in general. I never made it to the pix fest and that really disappoints me.
Quote from: lindsey on January 05, 2016, 05:23:00 PM
Via Chris' fb:

"Also, I regret to announce that there will not be a Plan-it-X fest this year, I know I told many people that I was 90% sure their would be, but I don't think it's a good idea. I'm not saying there will never be another one, but there will not be one in 2016."

Phitney

This is a huge bummer. I found PIX in high school when I really needed it and eventually found this board from it. I totally understand why Chris is shutting it down. Even though I haven't kept up with PIX as much in the past few years, it will always have a place in my heart for shaping me into the person I am today. I'll forever be grateful to Chris for beginning this amazing label and exposing me to ideas and politics and heartfelt music I would not have otherwise been exposed to. I've met some of my most favorite people because of Plan it X.

Seeing some of the PIX bands and singing my heart out to Ghost Mice and Defiance, Ohio at a small coffee shop in Asheville are absolute highlights. That coffee shop is now a fancy vegan restaurant and I can't help but remember those shows every time I've been there.

BlakeK

Quote from: jer on January 11, 2016, 08:44:51 AM
avivaaeelena, your previous name was something like avtigerlilly, but i don't think exactly that. you had at least one other one that i remember.
I remember now! Thanks Jer, that was driving me crazy

Aaron

Quote from: GrownFolk on January 11, 2016, 08:31:48 AM
I just hope that whatever Chris ends up doing he keeps the music going.  The last Ghost Mice and Captain Chaos albums were too good to stop at that point.  They need proper follow up albums!

Agreed. 

Excuse my romanticism but...I've been reflecting lately how PIX and the whole folk-punk thing was such a special moment in countercultural history, and how lucky I feel to have been a part of it..even though some of the songs make me kind of cringe when I hear them these days.  It couldn't have happened at any other time in history.  It was like this last gasp of unbridled, innocent sincerity before society truly settled in to the current era of the surveillance/police state, extreme inequality, irony, mass madness, etc.  The PIX community meant the world to us, and I think compared to most of the rest of our generation, as maturing adults we all have a much firmer grasp on what a sane, healthy community actually feels like.

Highlights for me include my mom buying Dunkin Donuts before a DIY Bandits-organized picnic/park show in Shelton, CT because I told her there'd be a potluck.  Then being super intimidated putting them on the blanket in front of my hero, Chris, who I thought might judge them for being too corporate and non-vegan or something.  The cops quickly kicked us out of the park and then this big mass of sweaty kids moved into a small office nearby, unironically playing Against Me singalongs (remember when that was actually possible? or was it ever haha?) before Johnny Hobo, Spoonboy, Ghost Mouse (Chris solo), Russ Substance, and some others played sets.  Man, the singalongs and feeling of unity at that show, wow...It was actually recorded and released as a split live CD, but it feels strange listening to that now....In CT there were many shows at The Nest in Bridgeport...And the acoustic and Riotfolk shows I organized in DC (not exactly PIX, but the same orbit)...Oh, also PIX-board penpals!  Hello if any of you see this..

kt

i wish we could find that google doc that has all the nice things we all wrote about each other. so much of my life has been built on connections i made through the pix boards (some bad, like moving across the country with someone i didn't know well enough or that time i dated someone who was horrible to me) but mostly it's been such a fun wild ride MY DUDES.

I had a dream recently that there was a pix board panel discussion that chris hosted and her and becca and bret and courtney and lindsey and tague were there and I was running late and crying on the bus because I didn't want to miss my internet friends.

GrownFolk

Quote from: skateandannoy on January 08, 2016, 11:00:40 AM
Quote from: momitsnowme on January 07, 2016, 06:15:46 PM
The recipes thread was great. I've made that peanut tofu from jp so many times
Can we start a new recipes thread please? That was one of my favorites. I'm really curious about this peanut tofu......
I too am really curious about the peanut tofu.  I'm in support of a recipes thread.