Writers Wanted

Started by RJ, June 14, 2014, 01:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Open for submissions:

DOUBLEWIDE CRIME wants to consider your short story for publication in a magazine that specializes in rural noir fiction. Your submission should be a previously unpublished work between 1000 and 5000 words, and it should focus on crime committed in a country setting.

If DC decides to publish your story, it will offer you one cent per word, and a copy of the magazine, in exchange for publication rights. Publication rights will revert to you one year after DC publishes your story.

When you submit your story for consideration you agree not to hold DC liable for any similarities that exist between your story and any other story DC may choose to publish.

If interested, email a PDF file of your submission to doublewidecrime@gmail.com.

http://doublewidecrime.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/doublewidecrime

ramblinrabble

Is it weird that I had a dream of some fucking up murder in the country last night and saw this the next day?   I think so.

pronetoaccidents

you know, so many good things have happened to me in the last two days that i'm afraid to even speak about it because I don't want my lucky streak to run out. Yesterday I made about 100 dollars playing guitar on the train (mind you the guitar only has 2 strings and i was playing an oblivans song).. after that I go into a store and a guy just hands me 10 dollars because he saw me on the train some other time and wanted to help me out. then after that I run into an old buddy i met up in a rehab a few years ago. i had an extra bottle of my take home methadone that i gave to him because i wanna help him get clean. he bought me a pack of cigarettes. In the store, while waiting for the cigarettes I get a call from a plumbin company who offered me a full-time plumbers helper position with a big company and I start monday. Ecstatically, I come home, and there I find the love of my life, laying in bed, looking as adorable as evil playing pokemon on the computer. we kiss. we hold on another. we talk, like we do every night when its just us in bed, about our dreams. how it's us against the world.  This was my birthday wekeend and I went to upstate to New Paltz to do some hiking. And I've also been working for a long time on a crime/noir book which is just about done and lo and behold, of all places I find someone here requesting submissions for that very thing...

life is so good. I don't know if it's chance or fate or positive karma for a change of pace, but either way, yes. I am happy. good things are finally coming my way,

i hope amazing things happen to all of you guys too!!! everyone deserves a break.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

RJ

Quote from: ramblinrabble on June 14, 2014, 04:53:01 AM
Is it weird that I had a dream of some fucking up murder in the country last night and saw this the next day?   I think so.

Put that in fiction and send it in!

RJ

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on June 14, 2014, 08:33:41 AM
you know, so many good things have happened to me in the last two days that i'm afraid to even speak about it because I don't want my lucky streak to run out. Yesterday I made about 100 dollars playing guitar on the train (mind you the guitar only has 2 strings and i was playing an oblivans song).. after that I go into a store and a guy just hands me 10 dollars because he saw me on the train some other time and wanted to help me out. then after that I run into an old buddy i met up in a rehab a few years ago. i had an extra bottle of my take home methadone that i gave to him because i wanna help him get clean. he bought me a pack of cigarettes. In the store, while waiting for the cigarettes I get a call from a plumbin company who offered me a full-time plumbers helper position with a big company and I start monday. Ecstatically, I come home, and there I find the love of my life, laying in bed, looking as adorable as evil playing pokemon on the computer. we kiss. we hold on another. we talk, like we do every night when its just us in bed, about our dreams. how it's us against the world.  This was my birthday wekeend and I went to upstate to New Paltz to do some hiking. And I've also been working for a long time on a crime/noir book which is just about done and lo and behold, of all places I find someone here requesting submissions for that very thing...

life is so good. I don't know if it's chance or fate or positive karma for a change of pace, but either way, yes. I am happy. good things are finally coming my way,

i hope amazing things happen to all of you guys too!!! everyone deserves a break.

Glad to read about your good fortune!

Nate Rainey

Does it have to be a country setting on this planet?
Signature get.

RJ

Good question! I'm not likely to publish a setting that's too alien, but I'm not ruling it out if it's a good rural noir story.

momitsnowme

Oh man, I so want to do this.

momitsnowme

How "crime"y does it need to be? Like..are you looking for law and order kinds of things or can the criminal activity be happening without people talking so much about the criminality of it?  Does that make sense?

AaronTheCabe

i have a story, its an american gothic version of James Joyce's Araby.... when's the dead lin. i have it written but it was years ago

southern gothic not american gothic
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

RJ

Quote from: momitsnowme on June 16, 2014, 07:06:59 PM
How "crime"y does it need to be? Like..are you looking for law and order kinds of things or can the criminal activity be happening without people talking so much about the criminality of it?  Does that make sense?

This makes sense to me. Crime fiction usually deals in some way with crime or criminals or victims or detectives. If you think it's a crime story, it probably is.

RJ

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on June 16, 2014, 07:08:18 PM
i have a story, its an american gothic version of James Joyce's Araby.... when's the dead lin. i have it written but it was years ago

southern gothic not american gothic

I have no set deadline at the moment. I'm going to cut it off when I receive enough good stories to fill a magazine.

Nate Rainey

I have a character I have been DYING to make good use of for years. I started writing an "I can't fucking sleep so I'm gonna type until my brain stops" short story which really fucking sucked, but it was a train murder mystery in space, that led to the story I'd potentially put together for this, on a forest planet with a single city and lots of corruption.

....no, I don't leave the house much....why?
Signature get.

pronetoaccidents

i'm working on a bunch of short stories with interrelating characters and each one jumps back and forth in time and perspective but its cohesive and i want it to become a novel when i write a few more chapters/stories. it deals with hustlers, junkies, bookies, conmen, hookers, and convicts. goes from brutality bordering on demonic but also shows their simultaneous humanity.. their loves, dreams, hopes, desires, prayers and what have you. if i had to describe it i'd say it's along the lines of pulp fiction mixed with hubert selby jr's Last Exit To Brooklyn
Though lovers be lost love shall not.