cooking thread

Started by hatmoose, June 12, 2014, 01:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desu

Black bean brownies are pretty delicious. 

Anna Karina

I should probably buy plates sometime.

tim

Quote from: Pwoink on June 16, 2014, 11:33:34 AM
Dude, a skillet is the best for stuff like that. Any combination of veggies, plus some olive oil, salt, pepper, and heat, and it's yummy with minimal skill!

And that's why they call it a skillet?

SoniaButton

Right now I'm making some Baba Ganoush, yum!  I will let you know how it turns out.  The eggplant slices are currently draining in a collindar. 

Side fact, I saw talk of bread:
My favorite toast is that Food For Life shit.  The Sesame kind to be exact.  I definitely can't always afford it, but I fucking love that stuff.  Goes great with sauteed kale/onions/garlic scrambled into a fresh egg. Best brunch ever.  Always keeps me going for a long day of working out in the sun.

avivatigerlily

i tried making garlic tostones last night and i just burned the garlic. i know garlic burns easily but i don't see how this works then because you still have to fry up the plantains fuck this

i also made rice and beans, which involved me finally just making sofrito
i have enough for a year now and i didnt have/couldnt find any culantro

SoniaButton

Quote from: avivatigerlily on June 19, 2014, 10:08:28 AM
i tried making garlic tostones last night and i just burned the garlic. i know garlic burns easily but i don't see how this works then because you still have to fry up the plantains fuck this

i also made rice and beans, which involved me finally just making sofrito
i have enough for a year now and i didnt have/couldnt find any culantro

Try making a garlic/olive oil/lime mix to drizzle on top of the tostones.  Delicious, easy, no burnt garlic.  Or if you have time, mofongo is the way to go for garlicy-plantain goodness!  How did you make your sofrito?  I haven't experimented with mine in a while

Rapture Ready Blowhard

I'm eating a bowl of Kroger-brand Grape Nuts right now for the first time.  My mind is officially blown.

momitsnowme

Get a rice cooker. We were pretty good at making rice without one but we still got one even though I was skeptical.  It makes it easier and you can time it and keep it warm. We use it seriously like 3 or more times a week. We do rarely use our slow cooker but it is mostly because jer doesn't really like a lot of the kind of stuff you can make in it. I would use it more if I was just cooking for me. If you like soups, stews, chilis, or like the "bowls" they do at veggie restaurants,  you would probably use it a lot more. It is nice to be able to chop everything up when you have a chance during the day and just have it ready at dinner.

lindsey

I've been thinking about getting a rice cooker too! we have sooo little room in our kitchen though. i really wish we had the counter space to keep a few small appliances all operational (ie. plugged in) at one time. can you make seasoned rice in a rice cooker or just plain rice? also can you cook quinoa in a rice cooker?

i went through a phase of using our slow cooker a few nights a week, mostly when we were both going to be out until after 10 or something. i think it's helpful for times like that and you can find some okay recipes (most need at least a little tweaking in my experience) but it does get old that the texture of the meat (sorry) is ALWAYS the same and stuff takes a lot of seasoning to be good. lately i've only been doing like shredded bbq chicken or jerk chicken that we put on top of salads. i did make a reeeeally bomb thai coconut curry soup in the slow cooker once though. search pinterest for recipes!

me and my boo have been trying reeeally hard to have a pretty strict/healthy/no junk food diet lately. finding variety and affordability when you're trying to stay under 400 calories per meal is a challenge. BUT i'm also learning a lot about different foods and the difference in how my body feels is amazing. i feel like i'm running on clean fuel for the first time in my life!

jer

Quote from: momitsnowme on June 26, 2014, 11:31:04 PM
It is nice to be able to chop everything up when you have a chance during the day and just have it ready at dinner.

except all of the recipes for slow cookers call for like 20 minutes of "precooking" stovetop, so at that point the slowcooker is worthless as all it does it keep shit warm. the ones that don't require that are just bland, tasteless piles of farts.

slowcookers are the worst things to ever happen in history.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Anna Karina

I never use a slow cooker, but one would think "bland tasteless piles of farts" is an oxymoron, I dare say.

hatmoose

if you eat enough plain food you have a ghost fart that doesn't smell like anything, a bland and tasteless fart. it's very rare but it's worth it

also i have used a slowcooker before and it was not the worst thing that ever happened to me, but i can't really think of anything to make it not a chili machine. i need to up my stew game. i should wait for the seasons to change though
ask me about my high score

jer

Quote from: Anna Karina on June 27, 2014, 11:17:55 AM
I never use a slow cooker, but one would think "bland tasteless piles of farts" is an oxymoron, I dare say.

oh look at mr. fancyfarts over here
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Semi

Today I'm cooking vegan kebab pizza, which is a scandinavian cultural abomination. Will post pics later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVeKx7Op8BE

Yes, this is what life is like in Sweden.
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.